Effective Date: August 1, 2023
Updated: July 29, 2023
Before you use our Products and Services, please carefully read through this Policy and understand our purposes and practices of collecting and processing of your Personal Data, as well as how we use, store, share and transfer your Personal Data. In the Policy you will also find ways to execute your rights of access, update, delete or protect your Personal Data.
If you accept this Policy when you register with your Personal Data, or if you start to use our Products and do not expressly object to the contents of this Policy, we will consider that you fully understand and agree with this Policy. If you have any question regarding this Policy, please do not hesitate to contact us via:
Degrii Customer Service: +1 (888) 533-4744 or email@example.com
Degrii Privacy Office: firstname.lastname@example.org
You are not obliged to provide us with your Personal Data (as defined below). However, we may be unable to provide you with certain products and/or Services if you decline to provide such data.
2. Collection of Information
3. Account Information
4. Location Information
6. Purposes and legal basis for processing Personal Data
7. Sharing of Information
8. International Transfer of Information Collected
9. Your Rights Relating to Your Personal Data
10. Security Measures
11. Data Retention
12. Children’s Privacy
14. Contact Us
In this Policy:
Affiliate means any company, firm or legal entity that: (1) is directly or indirectly controlled by Degrii; or (2) directly or indirectly controls Degrii; or (3) jointly with Degrii, controls the same company; or (4) is, directly or indirectly, under common control of the same company with Degrii. Affiliates shall include, without limitation, Degrii’s parent companies, subsidiaries, and such subsidiaries under common control of the same parent company as Degrii.
Personal Data means information generated, collected, recorded and/or stored, electronically or otherwise, that can be used to identify an individual or reflect the activity of an individual, either from that information alone, or from that information and other information we have access to about that individual.
Personal Sensitive Data includes personal biometric information, communication records and contents, health information, transaction information, precise location information etc. according to various data protection laws and regulations. When we collect Personal Sensitive Data from you, we will generate an explicit notification for your consent before we collect personal sensitive data about you.
Smart Devices refer to those computing devices produced or manufactured by hardware manufacturers, with human-machine interface and the ability to transmit data that connect wirelessly to a network, including: smart home appliances, smart air cleaning devices, smart thermostats etc.
Apps refer to those mobile applications developed by Degrii that provide end users remote control to Smart Devices and with the ability to connect to the supplier IoT Platform.
What Personal Data do we collect?
In order to provide our services to you, we will ask you to provide necessary Personal Data that is required to provide those services. If you do not provide your Personal Data, we may not be able to provide you with our products or services.
1. Information You Voluntarily Provide Us
• Registered Account Data: When you register an account with us, we may collect your name and contact details, such as your email address, phone number, username, and login credentials. During your interaction with our Products, we may further collect your nickname, profile picture, country code, language preference or time zone information into your account.
Information based on additional functions:
In order to offer you with more convenient and higher-quality Services with optimized user experiences, we may collect and use certain information if you consent to use additional functions in the App. Please note, if you do not provide such information, you may continue to use basic Services of the App and connected Smart Devices, but certain features based on these additional functions may not be available. These additional functions may include:
a) Additional functions based on location information:
When you enable the location-based functions through permission settings on your mobile device, we will collect and process your location information to enable these functions, such as pairing with your Smart Devices using Bluetooth and Wi-Fi. Also, we may collect information about your: a) real-time and precise location, for instance when you choose to use the automation scenarios (Geofencing) for controlling your Smart Devices, or b) non-precise geo-location when you use certain Smart Devices or the Services, such as Degrii robotic pool cleaner and weather service for the thermostat Saving goal feature in the app.
Based on your consent, when you enable the geo-fence feature, your location information will be generated and shared with Google Maps services. Please note that Google has corresponding data protection measures, which you may refer to Google’s Data Processing and Security Terms for more details.
You may disable the collection and use of your location information by changing your mobile device settings ("My - Setting - Privacy Right Setting - Switch on/off Location Information"), upon which we will cease to collect and use your location information.
b) Additional services based on camera:
You may use the camera by turning on the camera permission to pair with a Smart Device, take a picture or video, etc. Please be aware that even if you have agreed to enable the camera permission, we will only obtain information when you actively use the camera for scanning codes, taking pictures or video recording, etc.
You may opt-out the using of camera permission: "My - Setting - Privacy Right Setting - Switch on/off Camera".
c) Additional services for accessing and uploading pictures/videos based on photo albums (picture library/video library):
You can use this function to upload your photos/pictures/videos after turning on the photo album permission, so as to realize functions such as changing the avatar, reporting device usage problems by providing photo proofs, etc. When you use the photos and other functions, we will not recognize this information; but when you report a device usage problem, we may use the photos/pictures you upload to locate your problem.
You may opt-out the using of photo album permission: "My - Setting - Privacy Right Setting - Switch on/off Photo Album".
d) Additional services based on storage permission (Android):
The purpose is to ensure the stable operation of the App by utilizing the storage permission. After you give or indicate the permission to read/write your mobile device’s storage, we will access pictures, files, crash log information and other necessary information from your mobile device’s storage to provide you with functions, such as information publications, or record the crash log information locally.
You may opt-out the using of storage permission: "My - Setting - Privacy Right Setting - Switch on/off Storage".
e) Additional services based on Notification permission:
The reason why we ask you for the permission is to send you notifications about using the Smart Devices or Services, especially if you have purchased security services and you require an alert or message so that you can capture the real-time status.
You may opt-out the using of App notifications: "My - Message Center - Setting - Switch on/off
f) Additional services based on Bluetooth permission:
You can enable Bluetooth functions after turning on the permission, including controlling the Smart Devices, acquiring status of, discovering and configuring Smart Devices. In these functions, we will communicate with Smart Devices via Bluetooth. Please be aware that even if you have agreed to enable the Bluetooth permission, we will only use Bluetooth for communication in these scenarios: display device status on the home page and Smart Device panel; perform device control on the home page and Smart Device panel; discovering Smart Devices on the home page and the add device page, Smart Device distribution network.
You may opt-out the using of Bluetooth via "My - Settings - Privacy Setting - Disable/Enable Bluetooth permission".
Please note that if you turn on any permission, you authorize us to collect and use relevant personal information to provide you with corresponding Services. Once you turn off any permission, we will take it as canceling the authorization, and we will no longer continue to collect Personal Data based on the corresponding permissions, and the related functions may be terminated. However, your decision to turn off the permission will not affect the previous collection and use of information based on your authorization.
2. Information We Collect Automatically
• Mobile Device Information: When you interact with our Services, in order to provide and maintain the normal operation of our Services, to improve and optimize our Services, and to protect your account security as well, we automatically collect mobile device information, such as mobile device model number, IP address, wireless connection information, the type and version of the operating system, application version number, push notification identifier, log files, and mobile network information. Meanwhile, we will collect your software version number. In order to ensure the security of the operating environment or to provide services, we will collect information about the installed mobile applications and other software you use.
• Usage Data: During your interaction with our websites and Services, we automatically collect usage data relating to visits, clicks, downloads, messages sent/received, and other usage of our websites and Services.
• Log Information: When you use the App, in order to improve your user experience, the system and exception log may be uploaded, including your IP address, language preference setting, operating system version, date or time of access, so that we can facilitate and accurately identify problems and help you solve them in timely manner.
Please note that we cannot identify a specific individual by using device information or log information alone. However, if these types of non-personal information, combined with other information, may be used to identify a specific individual, such information will be treated as Personal Data. Unless we have obtained your consent or unless otherwise provided by data protection laws and regulations, we will aggregate or desensitize such information.
3. Smart Devices Related Information:
• Basic Information of Smart Devices: When you connect your Smart Devices with the Services, we may collect basic information about your Smart Devices such as device name, device ID, online status, activation time, firmware version, and upgrade information.
• Information collected during the process of connecting to a Smart Device: Based on the type of Smart Device you need to connect, the basic information collected includes: Wi-Fi information, device MAC address, etc.
• Information Reported by Smart Devices: Depending on the different Smart Devices you elect to connect with our Products or Services, we may collect different information reported by your Smart Devices. For example, indoor temperatures reported by your smart thermostat, etc.
You may update certain account profile information you provide to us by logging into your account. If you wish to delete your account, please email us at email@example.com, but note that we may retain certain information as required by law or for legitimate business purposes. We may also retain cached or archived copies of information about you for a certain period.
If you initially consent to our collection of precise location from our mobile app, you should be able to subsequently stop this collection by changing the preferences on your mobile device. If you do so, our mobile applications, or certain features, may no longer function properly. You may also stop our collection of this information by deleting our app from your mobile device.
Most web browsers are set to accept cookies by default. If you prefer, you can usually choose to set your browser to remove or reject browser cookies. Please note that if you choose to remove or reject cookies, this could affect the availability and functionality of our Services.
Purposes and legal basis for processing Personal Data
The purpose for which we may process information about you are as follows:
• Provide You with Our Services: We process your account data, mobile device information, usage data, location information, and Smart Device related information to provide you with the Services that you have requested. The legal basis for this processing is to perform our contract with you according to our User Agreement.
• Improve Our Services: We process your mobile device information, usage data, location information and Smart Device related information to ensure the functions and safety of the Services, to develop and improve the Services, to analyze the efficiency of our operations and to prevent and trace fraudulent or inappropriate usage. The legal basis for this processing is to fulfil our contract with you according to our User Agreement.
• Non-marketing Communication: We process your Personal Data to send you important information regarding the Services, changes to our terms, conditions, and policies and/or other administrative information. At the same time, we will also send you notifications related to the services you have purchased, such as alert services. You can check the “App Notification” in the App ("Me > Message Center > Setting > Notification Setting”) to manage these communications. When you decide not to enable the Notifications function, we will no longer process your information for such a purpose. The legal basis for this processing is to fulfil our contract with you according to our User Agreement.
• Data Analysis: In order to analyze the usage of the products we provide and improve your user experience, we will analyze the data you provide us, a) we need to check your problems when you encounter any malfunctions during the usage of the product, under such circumstance, you may not able to opt-out because it is highly relate to your functionalities and quality of using our product and service, and b) analyze data about how you interface with the product or under particular scenarios so that you can better enjoy the convenience brought by our Services, under such circumstance, if you do not agree to data analysis of your data, you can enter the privacy settings of App (“My > Settings > Privacy Settings > Data Analysis”) to opt-out your selection. The legal basis for such processing is based on your consent.
• Marketing Communication and Personalization: We may process your account data, usage data, device information to personalize product design and to provide you with services tailored for you, such as recommending and displaying information and advertisements regarding products suited to you, and to invite you to participate in surveys relating to your use of the Services. If you do not allow us to process your Personal Data for personalization, you may opt out when you enter the App, or by changing your preferences in “Privacy Settings” (“Me> Settings > Privacy Settings > Personalization”) in the App. The legal basis for this processing is your consent.
• Legal Compliance. We disclose information if we are legally required to do so, or if we have a good faith belief that such use is reasonably necessary to:
o comply with a legal obligation, process, or request.
o enforce our User Agreement and other agreements, policies, and standards, including investigation of any potential violation thereof.
o protect the rights, property or safety of us, our users, a third party or the public as required or permitted by law; or
o detect, prevent, or otherwise address security, fraud or technical issues.
If there is any change in the purposes for processing your personal data, we will inform such change to you via email and/or a prominent notice on our website of such changes of purposes, and choices you may have regarding your Personal Data.
Who do we Share Personal Data with?
At Degrii, we only share Personal Data in ways that we tell you about. We may share your Personal Data with the following recipients:
• To our third-party service providers who perform certain business-related functions for us, such as website hosting, data analysis, payment and credit card processing, infrastructure provision, IT services, customer support service, e-mail delivery services, and other similar services to enable them to provide services to us.
• To our customers and other business partners who provide you, directly or indirectly, with your Smart Devices, and/or networks and systems through which you access and use our websites and Services.
• To subsidiaries or affiliates within our corporate family for purpose of regular business activities based on our instructions and in compliance with applicable law, this Policy and other appropriate confidentiality and security measures.
• To an affiliate or other third party in the event of any reorganization, merger, sale, joint venture, assignment, transfer or other disposition of all or any portion of our business, assets or stock (including without limitation in connection with any bankruptcy or similar proceedings). In such an event, you will be notified via email and/or a prominent notice on our website of any change in ownership, and choices you may have regarding your Personal Data.
• As we believe in good faith that access to, or use, preservation, or disclosure of the information is reasonably necessary or appropriate to:
(a) Comply with applicable law, regulation, legal process, or lawful governmental request;
(b) Enforce our User Agreement and other agreements, policies, and standards, including investigation of any potential violation thereof;
(c) Protect our operation and business systems;
(d) Protect the rights, property or safety of us, our users, a third party or the public as required or permitted by law; or
(e) Perform risk management, screening and checks for unlawful, fraudulent, deceptive, or malicious activities.
Except for the third parties mentioned above, we only disclose your Personal Data to other third parties with your consent.
• Agreement based on approved EU standard contractual clauses per GDPR Art. 46. For more information, see https://ec.europa.eu/info/law/law-topic/data-protection/international-dimension-data-protection/standard-contractual-clauses-scc_en.
Data Subject Rights
We respect your rights and control over your Personal Data. You may exercise any of the following rights:
Via “Me > Degrii Support or by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
You do not have to pay a fee and we will aim to respond to you within 30 days. If you decide to email us, in your request, please make clear what information you would like to have changed, whether you would like to have your Personal Data deleted from our database or otherwise let us know what limitations you would like to put on our use of your Personal Data. Please note that we may ask you to verify your identity before taking further action on your request, for security purposes.
• Request access to the Personal Data that we process about you through email request to email@example.com.
• Request that we correct inaccurate or incomplete Personal Data about you: 1) Modify your account info (email address or phone number): "Me – Settings - Account and Security – Email. 2) Modify the nickname and/or time zone: "Me - Personal Information".
• Request deletion of Personal Data about you: "Me – Settings - Account and Security - Delete Account", when you confirm the deletion of your account, your Personal Data will be deleted accordingly.
• Request restrictions, temporarily or permanently, on our processing of some or all Personal Data about you: Please send your request through the email request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Request transfer of Personal Data to you or a third party where we process the data based on your consent or a contract with you, and where our processing is automated: Please send your request through the email request to email@example.com.
• Opt-out or object to our use of Personal Data about you where our use is based on your consent or our legitimate interests.
We will exercise your privacy right to withdraw consent through the following approaches:
1) For privacy permissions acquired through device system settings, your consent can be withdrawn by changing device permissions, including location, camera, photo album (picture library/video library), Bluetooth settings, notification settings and other related functions.
2) You may opt-out the non-marketing communication through “Me > Message Center > Notification Settings” to manage your selection.
3) You may opt-out of the data analysis features through “App Settings > Privacy Settings”.
4) Unbind the Smart Device through the App, and the information related to the Smart Device will not be collected.
5) If you previously agreed to associate App account with a third-party service, such as a Smart Life, Alexa, or Google Assistant platform, please unbind it on the third-party platform.
When you withdraw your consent or authorization, we may not be able to continue to provide you with certain products or services correspondingly. However, your withdrawal of your consent or authorization will not affect the processing of personal information based on your consent before the withdrawal.
About Deletion of the Account: You can find the Delete function through “Me > Settings > Account and Security > Delete Account.”
We use commercially reasonable physical, administrative, and technical safeguards to preserve the integrity and security of your Personal Data. Degrii provides various security strategies to effectively ensure data security of user and device.
• As for device access, Degrii proprietary algorithms are employed to ensure data isolation, access authentication, applying for authorization.
• As for data communication, communication using security algorithms and transmission encryption protocols and commercial level information encryption transmission based on dynamic keys are supported.
• As for data processing, strict data filtering and validation and complete data audit are applied.
• As for data storage, all confidential information of users will be safely encrypted for storage. If you have reason to believe that your interaction with us is no longer secure (for example, if you feel that the security of any account you might have with us has been compromised), you could immediately notify us of the problem by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.
We process your Personal Data for the minimum period necessary for the purposes set out in this Policy, unless there is a specific legal requirement for us to keep the data for a longer retention period. We determine the appropriate retention period based on the amount, nature, and sensitivity of your Personal Data, and after the retention period ends, we will destroy your Personal Data.
• For as long as you require us to provide the products and services you request from us as defined in the User Agreement.
• Personal Data will no longer be retained when you request to remove your Personal Data, we will accordingly complete the task.
When we are unable to do so for technical reasons, we will ensure that appropriate measures are put in place to prevent any further such use of your Personal Data.
Protecting the privacy of young children is especially important to us. The Services are not directed to individuals under the age of thirteen (13) (or such other age provided by applicable law in your country/region of residence), and we request that these individuals do not provide any Personal Data to us. We do not knowingly collect Personal Data from any child unless we first obtain permission from that child’s parent or legal guardian. If we become aware that we have collected Personal Data from any child without permission from that child’s parent or legal guardian, we will take steps to remove that information.
Your California Privacy Rights
California Civil Code Section 1798.83 permits users of the Software that are California residents to request certain information regarding our disclosure of Personal Data to third parties for their direct marketing purposes. To make such a request, please contact us in accordance with the "Contact Us" section below. We do not disclose Personal Data to third parties for their direct marketing purposes without your consent.